Going from skinny to muscle as quickly as possible isn’t just about the gym. And when you are in the gym, it’s about lifting for size, rather than strength or endurance.
I’m only in my fourth week on the plan now – but already I can see where I went wrong before. In four weeks I have put on more muscle than I have in the 8 months previously (when I joined my gym).
Here are the 7 biggest eye openers for me:
- Eat like the hulk to become the hulk. If you’re calorie negative (eat less than your body needs) you won’t put on an ounce of muscle.
- Have a protein shake immediately after training.
- When you’re training go for hypertrophy (muscle size). To do this, do nothing but 3 x 7 reps. If you can manage an eighth rep on the last set use a heavier weight. If you can’t do 3 x 7, use lighter ones.
- Record what you lift – when you progress it’s a great feeling.
- Get the order of your exercises right to so you get opposing movement in the following exercise. This get the most from your workout in the shortest time.
- Take creatine.
- Take your recovery just as importantly as your weight lifting.
Just doing this 7 things will make a huge difference to going from skinny to muscle. I wish I’d know about them sooner.
I joined my Gym 8 months and couldn’t see any difference to my physique – despite ‘training hard’. Now though, I’m thinking now no wonder I made no gains.
Because of the plan I’m following, in the last 4 weeks I’ve put on more muscle than I have in the last 8 months (it’s weigh day on Sunday – I’ll keep you posted).
For me the biggest motivation is lifting heavier weights than when I started – there’s just no way you can argue with it – real progress. Nobody can say the plan isn’t working. More size is just weeks away!